The Edinburgh Riding of the Marches is one of Edinburgh’s largest public events, taking place right in the heart of the Scottish capital every September.
Taking its roots from the historical Common Ridings of Scotland, 280 horses will traverse the ancient Royal Mile on Sunday 17th September 2017. This spectacular cavalcade is a re-enactment of the return of the Captain of the Trained Band (responsible for keeping order within the City) to Edinburgh with the tragic news of defeat at the battle of Flodden, 1513.
Every year, the elected Edinburgh Captain and Lass will lead over 250 horses up Edinburgh’s Royal Mile towards the Mercat Cross, in what has proven to be a fantastic spectacle, with resonating historical and cultural significance.
Please note that more detailed timings and full spectator vantage points will be released in the run up to the main day. In the meantime we can confirm he following;
- 0730 Todhills opens for horse box parking
- 0730-0845 Rider Registration
- 0930 Ride commences at Todhills
- 1215 Second half registration
- 1215 Ride returns to Todhills for lunch
- 1335 Ride recommences after lunch
- 1330 Entertainment begins in the High Street Event Arena
- 1510 Ride enters Holyrood Park at Duddingston
- 1535 Ride arrives at Holyrood Palace
- 1540 Ride enters the Royal Mile at the Scottish Parliament
- 1555 Ride arrives at the Mercat Cross in the High Street
- 1640 Ride finishes in Kings Stables Road
2017 KEY EVENT DATES
KIRKING – SUNDAY 10TH SEPTEMBER
EDINBURGH BALL – FRIDAY 15TH SEPTEMBER
RIDING OF THE MARCHES – SUNDAY 17TH SEPTEMBER